Europe 2004

My observations from various destinations typed in as events happened

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Send email to mmtravel-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to get notified of updates

Monday, June 28, 2004

Tri-state meeting in Oslo

When we went to dance tango in Oslo, there was already a man standing at
the door of the studio pushing the buzzer. Nobody was answering and at
some point we had to enlist help of a local woman.
As i've already mentioned, everybody in Scandinavia speaks fluent
English, but our new acquaintance - Pierre from Philadelphia, preferred
to converse with the Norwegian woman in Swedish. Last year he spent
winter in
Stockholm ("because I love cold weather") where he learned the language
("because I love languages"). Now I think he was rightfully proud of
his achievement and eager to have some practice. In his place I'd
probably do the same.
The fact that woman was replying in Norwegian didn't seem to impede
their conversation, so i suppose that the two languages are not very
different. But Zara and I couldn't understand a single word and passed
our time by discussing the situation in Russian.
Soon however we were drawn into the conversation as well, when woman
said to Pierre in perfect English: "Oh, you are an American? I am an
American too, I am from New Jersey!"

So here we were, representatives of New York, Pennsylvania and New
Jersey, standing in front of the Argentine tango studio in Oslo, and
speaking Swedish, Norwegian and Russian... Can it get more weird than
that?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Tangokurs oslo said...

Thank you, thats very interesting information. I need to share with my friends.

October 14, 2011 at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home